Saturday, March 24, 2012

blog post 7

The Networked Student
After watching the video I have mixed feelings about the whole idea. I was impressed about just how much technology was used and how he could connect to others about the same topic. It's amazing just to think about technology can get in you in contact with someone of the smartest people in specific topics. Then I thought about it and what does the teacher really do? The teacher doesn't in my mind teach anything.

With this way of learning you could put anyone in the room with the student to watch him for his network. You wouldn't have to go to college to be a teacher because your not teaching anything. All the teacher is doing it being a so called baby sitter and watching him do his work. The student is learning everything on his on with the help other strangers. I would much rather have a teacher lecture me then tell me to go find the stuff on the internet and tell her/him what I find.

The technology on the other hand is incredible. To know that you can connect to someone that knows everything about a specific topic and that i could connect to him and learn form him is amazing. This really a nation wide or maybe even world wide study group. You don't have to learn your house just get on the computer and communicate to whoever it is that you are talking to and you can learn like that. So idk what to think of this idea. On one hand the technology is great but the teachers aren't teaching so will there be a place for teachers in the future if we can teach ourselves with technology?

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment (or PLN)
I watched this video and i enjoyed every bit of it. I was amazed on how well her PLN was. I knew that I wanted mine to be as organized has her's. I tired to make mine similar to her's and will have to put a lot more time into it. I think that the PLN is a great way to have all the access to all your favorite sites, or sites you use the most in one spot. This video help my tremendously.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alex,
    Your blog is looking great. And I understand your view of how this post got you to thinking if teachers really teach with all the advancements of technology in the classroom. But I think we have to understand that the generations we are going to teach will be completely different that how we grew up learning. Even with all the advancement of technology in the classroom I don’t think you could just throw someone in the classroom to monitor students from a network. The teacher is needed to help teach the students how to build the network and guide them when they get stuck. The teacher is there to help the student learn the difference between credible information and the information that is not and how to organize the amount of information that is found. And the most important role of the teacher is to teach the student to use this networking technique to not only navigate their learning but also their future. Overall your blog looks like it’s going well and remember to always double check for grammatical errors. The last paragraph the fourth sentence “you don’t have to learn your house just get on the computer….”, I think you were trying to say leave.
    Thanks for the post and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete